Monday, November 21, 2011

ZORRO farewell- back to the USA

Well, my friends.
Though this was supposed to be a year abroad-- it seems that was never quite a possibility.
I am in Minnesota writing to you to tell the tale of ZORRO.
The show was supposed to be running for one year, with 25 cities and a bunch of wonderful blogs representing each step of the way.
But there were problems. Oh.. There were problems.
As an equity actor I feel it is my responsibility to be faithful to my union.
Unfortunately, the union does not have any jurisdiction over shows outside the states.
So when there are problems, there are no solutions aside from the ones we create ourselves.
We arrived in China on the 15th or so.
We started tech a day or two later-- with the full intention of a smooth tech process that would lead us to open on the 26th of October.
But with no stage manager, and a limited number of interpreters who we were never introduced to-- things were very difficult.
Making anything work was difficult.
It was also our first time seeing the stage after rehearsing in a band room in Tel Aviv that was too small to accommodate a taped out version of the set.
So re-spacing was the name of the game, and re-space we did. For most of the entire tech process.
They lit us while we were on stage, and timed cues, and created sequences all the while.
We never really got a full run in without stops before we opened.
The night before we opened, with most of the ensemble on stage, the cues were not exactly set to accommodate the positions of other set pieces, and with less than 24 hours to curtain up the back wall of the set came down on top of the Gypsy caravan nearly cracking our poor little caravan in half and causing even things that were dead hung up top to sway and crash into each other.
12 hour days were the norm since the communication between everyone was so incredibly difficult- and there was a lot of hurry up and wait.
But with the "magic of theatre" and the audience already in place- we opened and managed to make it through the show. Rotating set pieces and all.
Sure it was magical, but the obstacles only continued after opening night.
We never had a stage manager officially, and we never had understudies or swings cast.
After opening night, we all crawled to MINT. A chic bar in Pudong housed in a skyscraper above everything.
It was a cash bar, and we were in a special VIP section where we were able to hang out and dance. We celebrated our victory, not knowing what battles lay ahead.
Soon after opening night with one ensemble down with a bum knee and more re-spacing we were starting to understand how this tour would go.
Our days were spent rehearsing, and re-rehearsing elements of the show that were never fully completed before opening night-- and living two trains away from the theatre on the other side of the tracks in the Zhabei district of puxi made it difficult to explore the heart of Shanghai. SO I am sad to report, that not many photos were taken during this period.
Though we were never introduced to our crew I made fast friends with my dressers who I called "Momma". After tipping them opening night (much to their chagrin) we played a short battled of gifts. They returned with two small figurines covered in crystals to thank me for their tips.
Not long after opening night, and wondering why our salaries were not being deposited we had a meeting where the producers announced that all the cities on the tour had been cancelled. There was no way to put the show up in a week with all the massive elements that lay within, and the schedule was impossible.
Also, there was a legal complication and all the assets including box office profits, were frozen. So we were only able to live off a per diem of 20 dollars a day.
This was not optimal, but this continued for the duration of my stay in Shanghai.
Unfortunately, I ran out of money and had to call it quits since rent was due, and I was paying for food out of pocket when the per diem didn't last.
I informed the producers of my situation, and I was told that there was little chance of my salary being paid until the end of Shanghai. I held out as long as I could, but after a time, I realized I would lose my apartment if I continued to work for free.
On my own closing night, I purchased two ceramic turtles each with two turtles on their back.
I told my 'mommas' that the big turtle was zorro, and the little ones were me and each Momma. They accepted the gifts and hugged me. The interpreter I found in the theatre told them that I had to leave the production, and they were so sad. I was sad too.... I didn't want to have to leave China. I was supposed to see the great wall. I was supposed to be conversationally fluent in Chinese! I was supposed to have an adventure, and be able to pay my rent at the same time.
10 minutes later, Momma 1 and momma 2 called me into the wardrobe room where they presented me with their goodbye gift to me. I realized I wasn't going to be able to get the last gift in, and would have to accept their gifts despite feeling that they had given more to me than I could ever thank them for in material value.
The company couldn't afford to fly me home, or any of the other cast members that had come to similar decisions as I had. Luckily my dad worked for an airline, and in a round-about way was able to fly me on standby stateside again.
It was anti-climactic to say the least.
As the curtain went down on the last show, I hugged my beautiful castmates, and thanked them for everything. They all understood why I had to go, and I understood why they chose to stay.
Luckily, I was able to collect the remaining weeks of unemployment I was on pre- ZORRO, and managed to make rent with the small amount of money I was able to get.
It is difficult to even write this entry, because I don't want to make it sound like I didn't make the most of things.
But here are the pros of this adventure.
-I lived in Tel Aviv for 3 months, and explored what parts of the middle east I could.
-I saw the dead sea, and Jerusalem.
-I went to the beach everyday.
-I went to China, and got to see the largest city in the world.
-I explored the Shanghai Metro.
-I got to have REAL Chinese food.
-I ate Chinese street cart food, and lived to tell the delicious tale of Shipooty-loo. (spelling?)
-I met wonderful people, who I will never forget.
-I made my first circle around the world- New York, Israel, Korea, China, and back stateside again.

So I leave you with this.
Sometimes things don't go the way you plan.
Sometimes things will continue to not go the way you want.
And sometimes you have to make hard decisions about what is best for you.
But the adventure exists, and you have to ride it for as long as you can because adventures are rare and beautiful things full of unexpected twists and turns.
They may frustrate you, they may bring you joy- but with an adventure the hurdles can be high, and there is no way around or over the- so we must simply go through them.
After all; Chaos is the source of all growth.

I hope you all get to experience the beautiful landscape of Israel, and the mysterious and crazy city of Shanghai.

Go have an adventure- or in my case let an adventure have you.

No comments:

Post a Comment